Sign created by Mike Schlangen
This website is funded by the Klickitat CEKC and is a place for every business, group, church or other organizations in Klickitat to communicate with our citizens and the world.
We are proud to live in one of the most beautiful areas of the country. Check out our pages and see for yourself, what's happening...
The site where the town is located was originally called Wrights after one of the original settlers. This was the name given to the rail stop there. The rail stop down the river at milepost 7.2 was named Klickitat and the railroad later switched the two signs when the carbonated beverage company Klickitat Pop (operating near the town) gained fame. On February 7, 1910 the name of the town post office was officially changed to Klickitat.
The first non-native settlers arrived in 1890 seeking land to homestead. The abundance of timber drew in other settlers during the early 1900s. Travel through the Klickitat canyon and up to the plateau was arduous until the completion of a rail line in 1903. The rail line eased travel and facilitated the transportation of people, crops, livestock and timber. The lumber mill was the primary employer in town, with the first major mill formed 1909, until 1994 when the mill was permanently closed.The naturally carbonated mineral springs just north of town gave rise to heath spas, a carbonated beverage company, and a large dry ice plant which operated until 1957.
Klickitat is an unincorporated town located along the Klickitat River. While there are town signs on the borders of our small town we consider many small communities in our suburbs town residents. These areas include, Pitt, Appleton, Wahkiacus and all the houses in between.